National Citizen Service
SIFE Newcastle has partnered with NCS to bring together Year 11 pupils from different backgrounds, in the North East, to learn new skills and to volunteer in their local communities during the summer holidays. They will partake in a three week summer placement based both in Berkshire and their home towns with the aim of the placement to have a community project in place at the end.
The NCS programme enables participants to challenge themselves, improve their leadership, communication and team building skills and develop local social action projects, based around issues they select themselves.
SIFE Newcastle has been working hard to build a strong team, secure community partners and lay down a solid foundation in preparation for the summer. So far we have:
- Linked to other Newcastle University Students’ Union societies to establish a strong support structure and contact base within the local area.
- Engaged local government support through Northumberland County Council.
- Set up a connection with a local business called TeaShed whose owner is a fantastic public speaker; a young and inspirational Geordie who will motivate the young people to aspire to do more.
- Recognised the key opportunities presented to us through linking with our ArtAngelz project and their diversity awareness campaign.
- Taken the lead in driving forward a forum in which all SIFE NCS team-leaders can collaborate to discuss and exchange ideas.
Through delivering an effective summer programme to the North East’s youth, we aim to inspire all participating pupils to take ownership and drive their projects forward once the scheme ends, and to encourage them to go on to be responsible citizens within their local community.